Saturday, January 14, 2006

Newborn vs. Infant

This is my question. When is a baby no longer considered a newborn? When are they considered an infant? I know this is not an important question but my sister-in-law and I were wondering this a couple of weeks ago and I just thought I would throw this question out there for my legions of readers. Okay, all 3 of you. :) Our son will be 3 months old tomorrow and I was wondering if that is when they are no longer considered newborns. Or is there even a specific time? Just a thought.

4 Comments:

Blogger stebbijo said...

Thats easy! When they grow out of their newborn clothes! :-)

January 15, 2006 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Melzie said...

He can be a newborn as long as you want him to be! Myself, my kiddo was no longer one once he was about 6 weeks or so... why? Just because he was in a whole other "realm" of clothing!

January 20, 2006 at 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wikipedia says, "A human infant which is less than 28 days old is a newborn. The term can technically also apply to premature infants and postmature infants, as well as full term newborns." (I'm a new dad - my boy is 19 days old.)

March 5, 2006 at 9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Medically speaking, a neonate, also called a newborn, is a baby aged 4 weeks old or younger. See the National Library of Medicine:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002271.htm

November 24, 2007 at 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home