Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Surprise!

Well, I finally got him and I got him good. I threw Stephen a surprise birthday party on Saturday. It was fun to plan and a lot of fun to finally have the party but I am SO glad it's over. He never suspected a thing. At least that's what he says. And I really don't think he did.

We were supposed to have our monthly youth leadership meeting that night and it's usually at our youth pastor's house. My helpers and I got Chris (our youth pastor) involved with the planning for the party and he did my dirty work by telling Stephen that the meeting was going to be at the coffeeshop at church instead of his house. I invited over 60 friends and family members and started planning the food. I had to completely rely on other people to pick the food up and get the coffeeshop all set up for me. I couldn't have pulled this off without their help. We showed up a little after 6:00 that evening to a pretty empty parking lot. I saw the scout run into the coffeeshop when we pulled up. I had asked people who wouldn't normally be at our meeting to park on the other side of the parking lot so that Stephen wouldn't see their cars when we got there and get suspicious. When we walked in there were only a few people visible right away and then from out of the far corner of the room came a loud "SURPRISE!!!" At first you could tell that he didn't know what was going on and then as it sunk in he turned very red. He turned to me and asked "Did you know anything about this?" I smiled and said "I did this." He looked completely shocked. I still don't know if he was shocked that I did that for him or because I was actually able to pull it off without him even having a clue. Maybe it was a little of both.

Stephen set off visiting with the guests and I went and got plates of food for the girls. His mom started the VCR and played home movies while we ate. I had also asked her and Stephen's sister to bring old pictures of him and those were set out for all to see. I don't think he was very happy about that, but oh well. After eating, all of the kids that were there started running around and playing with the balloons that were all over the floor. Cake was next. I didn't realize that you have to specify which colors you want the roses to be when you order a cake from Costco. When I ordered the cake the display showed roses in autumn colors so I thought they would make his cake with autumn colors. Boy, was I wrong! They made his cake with yellow and pink roses. PINK! And, the cake said "Happy 30th Birthday Stephen!" right on it. Who makes a cake for a guy with pink roses on it? I guess it wasn't really that big of a deal. It was more funny than anything else because it would only happen to Stephen.

After a couple of hours people were starting to head home and we cleaned up. We have a lot of extra food still and we finished off what was left of the cake last night. It was a fun night and I'm so glad that it went off without a hitch. I couldn't have done it without all of the help of family members and my good friends. Thank you everyone!

4 Comments:

Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

just you wait, rin...just you wait.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

October 18, 2006 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger traveling spud said...

Pink flowers for Stephon....or is it Stephfonda?

October 19, 2006 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger ErinG said...

That's what I should have had his cake say. Stephfonda. Haha!

October 19, 2006 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

why oh why do you gotta make fun of me *sniff*...first the pink flowers, now this!

October 19, 2006 at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home