Wednesday, November 29, 2006

We Made It

We're finally here! We arrived in Bagdogra yesterday afternoon around 1:00 and got to my parent's house a little after 2:00. My family lives on the 2nd floor of a soon-to-be 3 story building. They have a very nice house, or I guess apartment would be a better word. It is a lot nicer than I expected it to be and very comfortable. Except for the cold marble floor. I think I should have packed more socks. And another sweatshirt. Stephen and I didn't expect to come to India and be cold. The house was pretty cool last night. The outside temperature is getting down to the low 50s at night. That gets pretty cold in a house with all marble floors. Stephen and my dad went out last night and bought a little portable heater. I slept with flannel pants, a long sleeve shirt and socks. Today the temperature is comfortable in the low 70s. I expected it to be a lot hotter so I'm not complaining about the cooler winter temps.

Travelling here seemed to take forever. The flight from LA to Tokyo took around 12 hours and then another 6 hours or so to Singapore. We spent close to 18 hours in Singapore. Our hotel wasn't very nice so we stayed long enough to get about 6 hours of sleep and shower and then we checked out. Singapore is a beautiful city. The first thing we did was go down to Clark Quay and took a boat tour of part of the city. It was neat. After that we hopped on a bus and went to another part of town for lunch. We ate at the Hard Rock Cafe and then decided to hang out there for awhile because it started to rain while we were having lunch. And it kept raining. After it stopped we left and decided to walk around and look in the stores. It started to rain and rain and it rained some more. It must have been a monsoon. We decided to make our way to Starbucks to get out of the rain. We ordered frappucinos and the girl asked us if it wasn't cold enough for us. We told her where we are from and explained that there is snow right now and that this wasn't cold at all for us. She understood. Finally it stopped raining and we decided to catch a taxi to the airport so that we wouldn't get wet anymore. The Singapore airport has a big mall in it but we did get a little bored because we spent so much time there.

All of our flights were uneventful but I couldn't sleep very much. I just don't sleep very well on planes. Needless to say, I am still trying to catch up on my sleep. We went to bed a little before 9:00 last night. That is early for Stephen and I.

This morning we visited the school. We went to each of the classes and talked a little bit about ourselves and where we are from. The kids here are so cute but very shy. They loved Stephen though because he had the camera. After we got back to my parents' house my dad joined us and we went to the Leadership Training Center and met the workers there. We got a tour and we got to see my dad's office. They are working on building a new sanctuary and it should be ready for the Sunday morning service.

7:20 p.m.

We just arrived home from dinner. This afternoon we went salwar shopping at the Hong Kong Market. That was quite an adventure! I will post more about that later since I am tired and I'm going to sign off soon.

Please continue to pray for us. Tomorrow is the first day that we will go out to do evangelism. We will also go out on Friday and Saturday. I'm getting nervous. This will be my first time going out alone.


Post a Comment

<< Home