Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Jury Duty Selection

I just got summoned for jury duty a few weeks ago. I didn't really mind too much to start with because I am a stay-at-home mom and it doesn't affect my financial status and I have relatives in the area that can watch my girls. I did start to mind when my oldest girl got very sick the night before I was supposed to show and my husband spent almost 5 hours with her in the emergency room and didn't get home until about 2:00 a.m. We were worried about meningitis because of the symptoms that she was describing to us. It ended up only being tonsilitis and she is fine now. Anyway, my number got called and I tried to explain to the judge that it would be difficult for me to sit on that jury because of my daughter's condition and needing to take care of her. He wouldn't excuse me from my service-just from that particular panel. Well, since I am due to have a baby in just a couple of months and with a history of delivering prematurely I decided to stay on. Luckily, either the defense or the prosecution had compassion on me and my situation and let me off of that jury.

Two days later I had to show up again. This time I did get picked. I had a feeling I would be. Why not? I am not very vocal when it comes to the voir dire questioning. There are some people that you just know won't get picked. Luckily, that trial ended with a plea bargain the next day.

What I am wondering is how does someone like me get summoned for jury duty so often. I am only 24 years old and this was my third jury duty summons. Well, I shouldn't say summons. The last time I was sent a questionnaire I got out of it because it had been less than two years since the last time I served. But, my point is, three notices in four years. How does that happen? I know it is random selection through the DMV and voter registration and I do have a driver's license and I vote. But, how is it that some people go their whole lives and never get called, or when they do their panel gets cancelled, and others like myself get called every few years.

I'm beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with me getting pregnant. The first jury I served on four years ago was when I was pregnant with our first daughter. The second notice I got was when I was pregnant with our second daughter and now I am pregnant again and had to serve again. Kind of weird. Makes me wonder what will happen if I ever get pregnant again.

3 Comments:

Blogger tenacious phenmonkey said...

maybe that means you aren't supposed to get pregnant

August 30, 2005 at 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erin!
So sorry to hear about your jury duty travails. Sounds like you've fulfilled a lifetime of civic duty!! F.Y.I., There is a website, http://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.org, that advocates for (you guessed it) Family Friendly Jury Duty laws which accommodate the needs at-home parents of young children and caregivers of disabled or elderly relatives, and especially those who depend upon them.
Given your unpleasant experiences with Idaho's courts (I can't believe they wouldn't excuse you when your child was in the hospital!!!!!), perhaps it's *time* for Idaho to adopt such "win-win" legislation for its families!

October 10, 2006 at 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin
My wife got called last quarter, but I just had surgery and she was my care taker so she was let out of duty. She got notice to start in sept.for duty again, but she just bought a barber shop and went into debt and if she has to serve she cant aford to make her payments and you dont just hire a barber off the streets. The county doesnt care. after I called them she got a delay for a year. That helps but she still cant find a barber to run her shop even for a week.
I offered to take her place for duty and they said NO. I was injured at 61 disabled spent all our savings on medical and now get s.s. payments We are now low income getting asst. for taxes and food. My wife bought the barber shop to help us get off of asst. programs an the county dont care if she has to close up and loss her income to pay off the loans.
Makes a lot of since huh Ha Ha
But thats our goverment at work.
Even when you convect a person of a crime the courts dont up hold the law anyway.
Look at the Hoffman case, he was supposed to die for the crime he commited. spent almost 20 years on deathrow then he claims his att. did not present him right so the courts is now giving him life because it can cost $500000.00 to
keep him on death row. How much dose it cost to feed house an guard him for the rest of his life?
The persons who sat on the juror seat really had no say then. What a waste of time for them then, right
Harold

August 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home